Proper Dovetail Cutter for 5thAxis D05125

I bought a dovetail fixture for my V2-10 machine. The stock preparation directions gives the following dimensions:

D05125-Dovetail-Stock-Preparation.pdf (1.3 MB)

Based on the drawing, I looked at some Harvey Tool dovetail cutters. Given the required depth (0.08in) of the 45° dovetail, my only option seems to be this 5/16" cutter (Harvey Tool 16820), which will fit into the ER11 (5/16) collet, but exceeds the 0.25" max allowable diameter for the tool length offset probe.

I measured the diameter of the probe button, and it seems to be at least 0.35", which is greater than the 0.3125" diameter of the tool.

So is it actually safe to use the tool length offset probe for 5/16" tools? What are my alternatives?

@zbattman,

You can certainly try to run that dovetail cutter through the automatic tool measurement routine, you will just want to watch it very carefully since there is a chance the tool will not strike the exact center of the probe button, which would likely cause a crash since you have so little room to work with.

I would recommend a manual tool measurement instead. The process for that can be found in section 4 of this tutorial.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.