TCPC, Round Stock and Selecting a Box Point

I’m a little ahead of myself, as I don’t have Kinetic Control running yet, but I’m designing for it.
Within the Manufacturing Setup, I have a Fixed Size Cylinder and the Stock Point is Box Point, which I selected the cylinder center point (see pic). I don’t have a box corner to set the offsets, so what is the procedure for a center Box Point?

PS1426

Hi @TriManTed,

As long as you will be holding your cylindrical stock concentric with the center of the B axis (like with the ER40 collet fixture), all you have to do is set your Y axis work offset when setting up your machine. This is because the X and Z axis (as the WCS is aligned when the machine is at home) are both still aligned with the machine’s origin point (AKA B-table offset/center of rotation), leaving only the Y axis that needs an offset defined.

To define the Y axis work offset you can follow the same steps shown in the First Part Tutorial, since the Y axis origin is set to the top of the stock in both scenarios (based on the picture you provided).

Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks,
Q

Q,
That makes perfect sense and probably the easiest way to set up the TCPC for a cylinder. Yes, the stock is mounted in an ER40 Collet.
If I selected an Orientation of ‘Select X and Y Axes’ with Y being the center of the stock, I can select a Box Point on the perimeter of the cylinder but then I would have to define all three axes at the same point. Using Simulation, the resuts are the same as selecting the center as my Box Point.
PS1430
Using your setup, I only need to find the center of my stock.
Thanks for your help. I think I’m going to like TCPC, especially for off-center work holding.

Great, I am glad that made sense.

Yes, TCPC is a game changer for our machine.

Let me know if you have any other questions, otherwise happy machining!