V2-10 graphite/ soft steel

Wondering if anyone has had any luck milling either graphite or soft steel with v2-10? I am trying to make a reusable mould I can cast aluminum with.

In researching I’ve heard graphite dust can short circuit your cnc, so wondering if anyones had success with this process?

Also wondering about v2-10 capabilities with soft steel.

If you’ve had luck with either, would really appreciate any guidance on DIY graphite dust vaccuuming, what tooling/feeds and speeds you used on either graphite or steel, and any other info/ resources you can provide.
Thank you!

some one in the facebook group made something with graphite, not sure who or what. and a company near me was making edm electrodes on a pocketnc using graphite at one point not sure if they still are.

I just turned and milled some 1/4" OD graphite rod that was sourced from McMaster-Carr on my Clausing manual lathe and Tormach PCNC1100 S3 mill. There was minimal dust generated, but I covered the area below with a shop rag to capture the dust, tossed the shop rag after, and cleaned up the affected machine area with a solvent-coated towel. I just needed the one piece, but for more than that I would probably rig up a shop vacuum nozzle to pull off as much graphite dust as possible while it was being generated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.