V2-50 CHK Spindle Extension Limit

I had a question about extending the spindle on my v2-50CHK as seen in Q-tip Tuesday #2 (Fantastic series by the way, can’t wait to see more!).

The spindle seen is the v2-50CHB and we are instructed to not pull the spindle out more than 0.5" or the end of the wrench flats. What is the corresponding limit for the CHK?

In the CHK overview video (Pocket NC V2-50CHK - YouTube), we see at 1:31 that the spindle can be extended to -20mm. Where is this measured from?

Thanks

Hi Griff,

If you extend the spindle out too far, you risk the tool holder collet colliding with the trunnion when the machine attempts to home the X axis.

The trick is to keep the CHK tool holder collet to the right of the trunnion as you look down the X axis.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi @griff

Another reference point to watch for when extending the CHK spindle further out of the spindle mount collet is the seam between the spindle and the spindle motor coupler. I have attached a picture for reference.

You do not want the spindle mount collet to only be gripping the spindle motor and motor coupler. So, the spindle assembly must be slid into the collet enough that the actual spindle is being gripped by the collet at least an 1/8".

Lastly, you will also want to make sure the spindle will not collide with the B-table housing when a tool change routine is commanded, since it can already be pretty close with a tool loaded.

Let us know if you have any other questions on this!